Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I Love Losing My Marbles.

I haven't blogged in a while.  I guess life kind of got crazy for a while.  A collection of finals, a mission call (I'm going to New York, New York North!!!), moving back home, saying goodbye to my wonderful roommates and best friends, working full time, taking new classes, going to the temple, finishing a huge painting to be auctioned off, dating a boy, sending off multiple missionaries, competing in a chalk art festival, throwing a giant party, finals again, and sending off another missionary, life has been hectic.  And now all the sudden, I've got 8 weeks before I report to the Mexico MTC, and I almost need double that amount of time just to find my sanity.
Other than causing me to lose my marbles, I have LOVED almost every single one of the things that have made my life hectic:

1.  Winter Semester Finals: Okay, let's be honest.  I hated this.  But on the plus side, it marked the end of one full year at BYU! (How did I survive that???)

2.  Mission Call: Basically opening my mission call was one of the most overwhelming nights of my life.  But it was so amazing.  I have no doubt that Heavenly Father knows me.

I thought for sure I would be going somewhere foreign, where you eat dirt and wear Chacos all day.  I prayed that I wouldn't get sent to Europe (even though I REALLY want to go to Europe) because I knew I would be distracted by all the art, and would not be able to focus on the real work, which is bringing others to know of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  So, the Lord answered my prayers and is sending me New York, New York (North, Spanish speaking, reporting to the Mexico MTC Aug. 21, 2013!)! I am so thrilled.  I get to still be somewhat a part of the art culture, learn a new language, and stay in the United States.  There are so many reasons why this is the perfect mission for me.  I am nervous as heck, but super excited.  Love it.

3. Moving back home: Weird, but so nice to not have to take care of myself anymore.  Let's face it, I need a mom. Love it.

4.  Saying goodbye to my roommates and best friends: I hate this one.  My 5 roommates, plus Sarah, were the greatest blessings.  I could not have survived college without them and their love.  Am I going to miss them? You bet your bottom!  Love it.

5.  Working Full-time: I actually love this one.  I love my jobs and love having something to do all day.  Love it.

6.  Taking a new class: I LOVED MY CLASS.  I would recommend all BYU students to take Bio 260H, but it's never being taught again... My family and I have an affinity for wildlife facts, and so taking a wildlife biology course was thrilling.  Our dinner table conversations constantly turned into talks about bear constipation and other weird animal facts.  Love it.

7.  Went to the temple: This was one of the greatest opportunities I have ever received.  This House of God brings me so much peace and joy.  Love it.

8.  Finishing a huge painting project: The Chair.  I love the chair.  It is gorgeous, it caused me extreme amounts of pain and anguish, and most importantly, it is finished! Back in December, I was asked by my good friend Todd to paint a chair to be auctioned off, along with 10 other chairs painted by professional artists from around Utah, by RC Willey.  All the money from the auction would then be donated to the Huntsman Cancer Institute.  I was thrilled about this opportunity.  It was a chance to get my name out to the art community and donate to a good cause.  I spent over 50 hours on this chair, sacrificing time with my family, a vacation, study time, friend time, Honey time (this will make sense with number 9), and all my paints and supplies.  I finished the chair on a Monday night, and the auction was the Wednesday after.  Tuesday morning I woke up early to go drop off the chair, and got sucked into a chat with my dad.  Long story short, after pouring everything I had into that chair, the president of RC Willey decided to cut me out of the auction, saying that he didn't want amateurs in it anymore.  After the chat with my dad, I went back to bed bawling like a baby.  But, I do believe that God sometimes takes away opportunities to provide us with different ones, and so I am now going to sell the chair and put the money towards my mission fund.  Yay for money! 


9.  Started dating a boy: Ooh la la! My family never thought this day would come, but I don't know why they were all so surprised about it.  Well, this boy was one of my apartment's best friends during last semester and he stayed spring term to work before his mission.  We started hanging out together, then going on dates, then holding hands, then cuddling, then next thing you know, I kissed a boy! This boy's last name is Honey, so my friends and family were constantly asking if I "got some Honey".  Oh, that sweet, sweet honey.  I just love spending time with my Honey, and sadly, had to say my "see you later"s as he headed back home for a week and then off to the MTC.  Love it.



10. Chalk Art Festival:  This was seriously so fun! I wanted to do one last fall with Madison, but she was being a stinker and wouldn't do it with me.  I am so grateful my friend Megan asked me to do one with her up at the Gateway.  I don't think I have ever been messier, but it was AMAZING.  Love it.

  
11.  Sending off multiple missionaries: This is the most bittersweet thing I could ever imagine.  It is so depressing to send off so many of my best friends, but so exhilarating knowing that they are going to change lives! I had to send off my best friend Madison to Jackson, Mississippi.  She is one of my favorite people on the whole entire planet.  It's been tough to not be able to sass her, or have her tell me I do things wrong, or just to know she is in close proximity.  The first email she sent to me after she left, I cried my eyes out in my cubicle at work.  That was slightly awkward... Haha.  I LOVE hearing from her, and can't believe she's been out for 6 weeks! 
My next best friend to go was Sarah, who left to Indianapolis, Indiana.  She changed my life when we met in January, and it's been hard to not be able to tell her things, or talk to her about boys, or just giggle about nothing for hours.  But she is doing wonderful things! 
Many other friends have left as well.  I feel so blessed that I can at least email and write them, and be able to hear how hard they are working and how strong the Spirit is in their lives.  Love it.


12.  Throwing a giant party: This was so fantastic! My friends and I threw together a Great Gatsby themed-black-tie-mocktail party and it was a HUGE success. It was so much fun, and we had multiple requests to throw more parties.  Love it.


13.  More finals: Boo! But since I love my class (see number 6), I got a 94% on the final! Whoop whoop!  Love it.

14.  Sending off one more missionary: See number 9.  Seriously.  This missionary thing is hard.  

I seriously don't understand how my brain is still functioning.  It's crazy to think that all of this happened within two months time.  Two more months, and my life will be on a completely different schedule....

No comments:

Post a Comment